Hello, hello (Hola!)
Welcome back to another edition of SKoL! This week (tbh, month) has been a nightmare for me, personally, but I’m finding my groove and fixing my skin (more on that later).
- I bought Super Bounce and Solution from Glossier and I’ve already seen noticeable improvements in my skin! I also use their Boy Brow and I’m obsessed. Just ordered a few more goodies: Zit Stick, Stretch Concealer, and Perfecting Skin Tint.
- Ewww, David!!! I just started watching Schitt’s Creek on Netflix and I’m completely obsessed! Catherine O’Hara is a DREAM. What Would Moira Do? is my official life motto. If you’re wondering, yes, I have joined the Jazzagals.
- I was a good little chicken on Black Friday and didn’t buy that much stuff. Just a Kate Spade phone wallet from the surprise sale (RIP, Queen), some Girlfriend Collective swag (these, this, & this, plus the discontinued? Monroe bra), a naughty “couples” purchase or three, the new Oui Fresh lip gloss shades, a cute bag from New Darlings on Depop, a SodaStream, and I *think* that’s it. But knowing me, some crazy packages are going to show up.
- I’m going to see Neko Case in February! I haven’t seen her since my first date with my husband in 2013, so I’m super excited! The show is in Tallahassee, so yaaasss, I’m goin’ back!
- I just watched Annie Hall again (for class!!!) and I know, I KNOW I’m supposed to hate Woody Allen (AND I DO) but I fucking love that movie—I can’t help it. In the opening scene, when he describes his working class childhood on Coney Island as an alienated, weird, smart kid, I felt seen (on film) for the first time #representationmatters). I mean, my family isn’t Jewish, but the dynamics are s i m i l a r. Watching it again felt like visiting an old friend.
- I just read The Assistant by Bernard Malamud and it has my whole heart. It’s the tale of an immigrant grocer in New York whose failing business sees a revival when he hires Frank Alpine, an Italian-American man who learns a lot about shopkeeping and even more about morality. If you like books that start with robbery and end with circumcision, this book’s for you!
- Now I’m reading Nicole Chung’s All You Can Ever Know. It’s incredibly moving and complicated. I’m a longtime fan of Nicole’s writing, from The Toast days, and I was so excited to finally get my hands on a copy of her memoir.
- Ariana Grande is my personal Lord & Savior. Thank u, next.
- I may or may not have just splurged on this because I am a RECKLESS, IMPULSIVE, BIPOLAR WOMAN.
- Chag Chanukah Sameach! I know I’m technically late because the sun’s already down (December, right?), but Happy Hannukah to all my practicing homies!
See you next week! Or, you know, sooner if I decide to start blogging again.