We did it! Another week of social distancing down! And now it’s a long weekend! I may even attempt to venture outdoors, although I’m basically a moleperson at this point, so I’ll have to bring sunscreen & shades.
I think I mentioned in a previous post that I have a sourdough starter and it was finally ready to use this weekend! I made 2 loaves of sourdough, although the first loaf is not as aesthetically pleasing as the second…
It was only my second time EVER baking bread and I’m pleased with how it turned out! I did the pan of water trick the get the outside to be hearty and crusty. I used this recipe. Fun fact: King Arthur Flour is an employee-owned company and we simply have to stan! So, apparently, is Bob’s Red Mill (I was already a fan girl!), and you have to read the sweet story of Bob and his wife Charlee </3
I never thought I could like baking, but I think the trick was to make savory baked goods (I’m a savory bitch for life). I feel like there are 2 quarantine types: baking people and pickling people, and I’m proud to say that I’m both! (I’m an overachiever) I’ve been making these pickled onions, per Miel Bredouw’s recommendation, and I don’t remember what food tastes like without them.
Apart from baking, I finally got back to watching Mrs. America and it is really so, so good. Margo Martindale is a treasure, and if she doesn’t get nominated for an Emmy I will protest the Academy (or whomever does the Emmys). It does a great job of addressing how exclusionary the women’s liberation movement was. P.S. I’m so glad Phyllis Schlafly is dead! What a truly evil human being! The “subjective” portrayal of her on the show is not enough to fool me into having sympathy for one of the nation’s most heinous villains!
Anyway, here’s this week’s list!
- Something extremely important happened in music this week…no, I’m not talking about “Rain on Me,” though it does bang. I’m talking about this!
- There is, and I cannot stress this enough, a website with transcripts of every episode of Frasier.
- I desperately need one of these. I’m going to break my back being hunched over a computer all day.
- Gonna join Book of the Month because I’m a huge nerd!
- Speaking of which, my best friend and I are starting our own FaceTime book club and our first pick is Kindred by Octavia Butler. It’s…incredible.
- Also speaking of books, my friend wrote her thesis on Motherwit by Onnie Lee Logan and it’s only $4.99 on Kindle right now. I can’t wait to read it!
- I am SO OVER shaving. I just want every follicle on my body to die! I am truly about to spend my life savings on laser removal.
- I got a subscription to Causebox because I had a code, okay????
- I started whitening my teeth because of course I did. My dark teeth have always been a huge insecurity of mine, and it certainly doesn’t help that I’m a coffee and wine drinker. I’m using this treatment system, this pen, and this polish. Here’s hoping I don’t destroy my enamel! I’m definitely starting to see results!
- I’ve been doing these Instagram song challenges, and they have brought SO much joy to my life! This is my first one, my second & third which are in progress, and a spinoff playlist that I had to make because there are too many iconic songs from 1991!
- This pasta recipe is legendary! Or as John Legend would say, magical!
- This site seems very cool for minimalist jewelry.
- The grill pan I wanted came back in stock finally!
- Inkbox is my new favorite thing. I have this one on my thigh and this one on my sternum. I cannot W A I T to get another tattoo at Famous.
- I’m making this cinnamon roll recipe right now for my father-in-law because cinnamon rolls are one of his favorites. They also happened to be one of my favorites, but this is an act of altruism, I swear!
Until next time!